Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A New Place to Call Home

We got the final word yesterday that we got the rental house that we searched for this weekend. I went into panic mode after we accepted the offer Friday night until we found somewhere for our family to live. I'm a super huge planner (a.k.a. Control Freak) so until I knew where my family was going to sleep on October 15th I couldn't sleep myself. We knew we wanted to rent in South Carolina and didn't know if it would be in Fort Mill or Lake Wylie. We also knew we couldn't get any lease shorter than one year, so that would put Anderson starting school in which ever district we rented in. There's tons of houses to rent in Steele Creek, but that's not the same for York County. There's lots of apartments and townhouses, but with three kids I'd rather poke my eyeballs out than live cooped up like that and sharing walls with someone... Those days were over long ago. We searched the Internet tirelessly, drove around, and made lots of phone calls Saturday and Sunday. We walked through a home in Lakeshore (that would put Anderson going to FM schools) that was just downright GROSS! It was nice on the outside, but I was scared what the kids may have "caught" while being there. It was only six years old like our home, and after walking through it ours is in immaculate shape! Never, ever would I have paid $5 to live there! So on we went. We were supposed to look at one in Tega Cay and someone else beat us to it and decided they wanted it, which was ok... We drove by it and I don't think we would have lived there anyway. So an agent that was checking into a home in River Hills that I had spoken with Sunday morning called me back and told me it was still available and wanted to know if we wanted to look at it......... Of course... now we are feeling pretty desperate! I know I have 6 1/2 weeks... but control freak was setting in!!! We met the agents at First Properties and drove in River Hills behind them. We had seen the pictures online and knew it was an older home that hadn't been renovated, but since it's in such a nice community we wanted to see it anyway. It has 2850 square feet (1100 more than we currently have) and is straight out of the 70's, but it's the one we are now going to call home for a while! Brandon said when we walked in he was waiting on Eric, Donna, Fez, Kelso and the gang from That 70's Show to come walking out!!!! Maybe we'll just have to throw a 70's Disco Party... now wouldn't that be fun! So Anderson will start kindergarten at Crowder's Creek next fall...!

9 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Amy, that's great. You guys are in a GOOD position because now you have a lot of time to find a house you want to buy and prices will still be low. I'm happy you were able to sell your house in this crappy market! We want to sell, too, but we've just been toying with the idea since we don't know where we want to ultimately end up. That will be so nice for you all to have more room in your rental home. Congratulations.

Carainn said...

Wonderful news

Bless of luck.

megan said...

You will LOVE all of that space!!! What a relief. I agree with Jen, you're in such a good position. I envy you :) I'm really happy for you guys!

Amy J said...

How very exciting! You'll have to take some 70's throwback pictures of the family.

Unknown said...

river hills is a great neighborhood, even if it is a little retro! ali crawford lives there. glad you all are moving onward and upward!!

Christina said...

Congrats on getting that settled! I guess River Hills isn't too much further down the road to come and visit you :)

The Nitsche Family said...

Congrats on selling your house and finding a rental! I love Brandon's description of the rental! See you soon!

Bek said...

I've learned a lot in the last 3 1/2 years about my control vs. God's timing. Pray for guidance. God will provide for all our needs.

Eversole Crew said...

Awesome! So glad everything worked out for you guys!