Friday, October 16, 2009

Bittersweet


We closed on the Greybriar House yesterday and handed over our keys to a very nice YOUNG girl that seemed so excited to be buying such a wonderful little house. As glad as I am for us to have sold (in this market) it was so very emotionally hard! We got our last things out of it on Saturday and mom helped me clean. I thought Brandon and I would pop back into it the last few days before we closed, but he told me that was it, that we weren't coming back to it anymore.. I immediately teared up and then started crying like a baby! I had to walk back in and savor every little memory of that sweet little house one last time before I said goodbye! My mom and dad quickly reminded me that it's just a house, but to me it's so much more. It's where Brandon and I started this little journey and brought each baby home. It's where I spent countless nights pacing the floor trying to get Anderson to sleep as a baby. All of my babies took there first steps there and spoke their first word there! I think about all of our Christmases and birthday parties as well. It holds so many memories that I pray won't fade. As I was walking around to each room I found myself sobbing uncontrollably. Thank goodness everyone else was outside, because I was a mess. A huge MESS!! Also in Anderson's closet I have his measurements at different times of his life written on the wall. That's something I couldn't take with me and that was hard. The buyer's parents also said something to me yesterday about how special that was... and of course I started crying all over again. It's very bittersweet. Now on to making new memories wherever life takes us and wherever we settle down!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, you have made me cry. We are so much alike. I know your new home is beautiful and the five of you being together is what really matters. Love you. Aunt Diane

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Oh Amy! I'm in tears reading your post. It is so hard leaving a house. It is just a house, but it is also so much more. Just remember that you are making memories every day. ((hugs))

megan said...

I was sad when I saw the moving truck at "your" house and the new girl moving in. I wondered how you were handling it. I'm SO happy for you that you actually sold your house and can move on, but I totally understand being sad. It's been 4 1/2 years since we left our first house and I still cry every time we drive by it. Wonderful memories!

Jason, Julie, Ian, and Ivy said...

I felt the same way when we moved in February. It is very hard! It gets easier as you make new memories...but I definitely feel your pain.

Jenn said...

Okay stop making me cry already! Just think you moved for the kids, to give them a better education and to get them in state tution down the road.

Therese said...

I am dreading our day (house sold or not) when we move. Every time I pack a box, there is some memory being packed with it. My tears have already started to flow, especially when I come across something very sentimental. Here's to both of us... in making new memories as we journey into a new chapter in our lives.

Robert, Jennifer and Peyton said...

Wow, I'm crying, too - made me think of leaving our house in Charlotte (and everything else). Such wonderful memories you have; they will not fade! Hugs and love and to new exciting memories wherever you are!